Monday, March 13, 2006

March Powder Day in Steamboat

I've been too busy to get out skiing much this month. I admit this is a good problem to have. I live here for many of the same reasons people visit Steamboat Springs so it was great to get out and take in an epic powder day today if only for a couple of hours or so ...

Some of our best powder days here in Steamboat are when the forecast is for 30-40% chance of trace to 3 inches of snow. We are coming off a rare warm spell this year where we had 2 weeks of mostly bluebird days with only 2 days (and 20 inches of snow). The rest of the year it has been snowing on nearly a daily basis. We have nearly 400 inches so far this year! I was responsible and didn't get up until around 1pm but there was still waist deep snow in most of my favorite lines and chest deep in the secret ones. Not bad for a 12 inch snow report but that is one thing I have to live with as a tree skier in Steamboat. There is nearly always twice the snow in the trees are they report and often more on the big days. Everyone I talked to said it was one of the best days of the year and I have to agree.

Thanks to my 3 clients that called while I was on the lift (good timing) then readily extended me a powder pass to tell them how good it was and then let me call them back later.

No comments: