Monday, February 20, 2006

Steamboat Springs cost of living

The following Aspen Times article has some interesting data on the relative cost of living in mountain ski towns. It came as no surprise that Steamboat is much more affordable than Aspen, Vail and Breckenridge but I was surprised that Steamboat is cheaper than Glenwood Springs. I would also argue that Steamboat has one of the best quality of life of the group given our uncrowded slopes, town and friendly down to earth people. Let me know if you would like to see the full report, I have an electronic copy I can email you. Jenny who works for the City of Aspen was kind enough to give me one.

Quoted from the Aspen Times article:
"Of the four Western Slope communities surveyed for the report, Aspen is the most expensive in which to live, followed by Vail, Breckenridge, Glenwood Springs and Steamboat Springs, in that order. High housing costs fuel Aspen's high cost of living. Although the average price of a free-market house in Aspen increased only 11 percent from 2000-2005 (from $2.7 million to $3.1 million), that's higher than the 2005 national average of $254,290, the report states."

No comments: