Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sunny & 91 today, Snow above 10,000 ft in Steamboat area tonight

Greetings from Steamboat! I hope that you have had a great summer and thoughts of winter are starting to creep into your consciousness just like they are with me. I walked outside last night and was surprised to get my annual epiphany that the seasons are turning and winter is coming again. It was a cool night with that extra twist if winter in the air that always tells me it is time to pack in more summer activities, start buying ski movies (bought one yesterday afternoon because I am helpless when shown a great powder day) and start thinking skiing.

It’s sunny and 91 today but they are predicting snow above 10,000 ft in the Steamboat area tonight. Here we are in the heat of August and we are already seeing signs that winter is coming. Even though last year’s record season is still fresh in everyone’s mind the snow gods can’t help but remind us to be good this fall so they can bring us another great winter. I am doing my best to be good and I hope that you will do your part. Don't get the impression that winter comes here in August. We have plenty of hot and sunny days ahead of us but mother winter lets us know that we live in a ski area and it is time to prepare for another winter. It is generally very nice through about mid October and possibly longer. I often ride my mountain bike until early November but we can expect a good snow storm close to the peak season for Aspen viewing in the 3rd week of September, often a foot or two on the mountain and some in town.

If you can, I recommend getting out once more in the summer or fall to enjoy some of our best weather and the changing leaves then start thinking about winter plans. I already have several requests from friends who don't live here YET to pick them up some skis in the fall sales.

For more click back to the Steamboat Springs blog main page.

No comments: