Sunday, October 05, 2008

Steamboat's First Snow on Mount Werner for 2008/2009 Season

The Steamboat Ski area received our first official snow of the season last night. We had a record winter of nearly 500 inches last season followed by about 170 inches after closing, a relatively short but amazing summer, a beautiful fall and now our first snow on Mount Werner. Before this we have had 2-3 snows in the area on the Zirkels and Flattops since August. The first snow on Mount Werner is our official wake-up call to get in our last month or so of summer / fall activities, start getting in shape, tuning up the snow blower and start more frequent day dreaming about the powder we will ski this winter.

There are now 51 days until opening day and while I want to enjoy every fall day I can't help but dream myself. I know I am not alone because I get several calls a week from friends and readers asking if it has snowed yet, telling me how psyched they are for ski season and planning everything from trips to new gear to make the most of the season. As you might imagine I don't mind getting those calls one bit and my voice perks up as soon as I know I have received one. Below is a video produced by the Steamboat Ski area summarizing our record breaking 2007/2008 ski season here in Steamboat that I thought might help you get in the mood for this season. Start planning your season now if you haven't already. Airfares on all of the airlines are great this season since Frontier has come to town so take advantage and plan an extra trip or two.

For more click back to the Steamboat Springs blog main page.

No comments: