Saturday, April 15, 2006

Consistently Soft, consistent Face Shots

I couldn't agree more, it just seemed like it only got firm a few times late in the season. I often "complained" I got out of shape this winter or had to hike less for great snow. It was so soft nearly everytime I went up and I can't think of a time I've gotten more consistant face shots. It was an incredible season and everyone was sad to see it go but the siren song of spring has captured me and my bike is calling...

Quoted from the Summit (County) Daily news, the home of Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone and A-Basin:
Two ways to measure snow in Steamboat
4/15/06

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS - The 447 inches of snow received at Steamboat Springs this season fell 18 inches short of breaking the record set in 1996-97, and also snowfalls received in the 1983-84 and 1995-96 seasons, reports The Steamboat Pilot & Today.

But those in Steamboat long enough to know told the newspaper that the consistent quality of snow this year made it better than a fourth-place showing.

"To me, what made it stand out was that it was soft, cold, winter snow, and that feels so good on old knees," said Jeff Hirschboeck, a 37-year ski patrol veteran. "We had days where 4 inches fell on top of snow the previous day followed by 3 inches the next day and 7 inches the next. That's what people come to Colorado for."

"It seemed like the first 80 days of the season it was face shots every day," said Jeremy Johnston, a ski shop worker.

No comments: